FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What happened to my milk snake?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #17
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Im just not willing to believe that mites I had not noticed on my snake at all for three months would suddenly kill her overnight....
That's why it's SO important to quarantine, & house new snakes on white paper towels with minimalist set-up. Try taking damp paper towels & wiping down your other snakes to see if any mites show up. They hide under the chin, near the eyes or vent sometimes. Obviously they are quite tiny when young, & even hard to see when grown. I don't know off-hand the precise number of days in their reproductive cycle, but for comparison, think about rodents in the wild & what would happen without predators to eat them. I watched a documentary once about an explosion of rats that totally stripped fields of crops (it's been a while, it was some place in southeast Asia, I think?). The place was literally crawling with rats everywhere. Because with a short reproductive cycle, the babies mature, breed, & all their babies have babies...it's the same with mites...exponential population explosion! Even if you don't find mites on your other snakes, stay vigilant & treat! It doesn't take many mites for this nightmare to happen.