FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - I miss Steve Irwin....
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Attenborough is dry dry dry. Magnificent camerawork, with a boring onscreen presence. There's a reason most have never heard of him. I'm sure he likes the animals.. but his shows are not that exciting to watch, so people don't watch, so people aren't exposed to the animals.
That's... pretty much the exact opposite of my opinion of him and his work. He's rocking the accent and the soft spoken tones which I suppose would be considered "boring" relative to Irwin shouting over-the-top moronic australian catch phrases for an international audience- but the volume, quality and scope of the information he'd present was staggering. I'd much rather have Attenborough spend five minutes detailing the environmental pressures that led to the development of a physical or behavioral trait than a jerk in shorts screaming and making completely inaccurate superlative claims.

Quote:
And I'd like to point out.. you saw once a sea snake on screen, saw a bit of blood.. so you say the snake died? That's a reach. With the media frenzy out there spearheaded by PETA, I'm pretty sure if there was proof it would be out there. Practically everything Irwin did was on film, should be easy to find.
I said "the blood was a pretty good indicator that he broke it as a result" I did not say "there was a bit of blood" or "there was a drop of blood" or anything else indicating the volume. There was more talk about it when it aired among herpers, some probably exists in the archives of various forum based websites. Without seeing it for yourself I suppose you can either trust in my experience and judgement in saying that the snake died as a result of the injuries is sustained diretly from the poor handling practices Irwin regularly displayed... or question my judgement and regard it as an unknown... or reject my judgement and believe the animal was in perfect health.

PETA was hardly the only segment of the population that objected to Irwin. I never liked his misinformation, his approach towards handling or the inaccuracies that arose from the superlative emphasis he (or the editing team or production manager or...) put on everything he did. I didn't like him violating a pile of laws by touching penguins. I didn't like the few reports that surfaced from australians who worked at the park he owned, although acknowledged that ex-employess aren't always the most straight shooting folks. I didn't like the kid dangling video... I had no respect for the man as a herpetologist, zoologist or naturalist while he was alive and that didn't miraculously change when he died as a direct result of the same asshattery I didn't respect while he was alive.