FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - (Bird) Vitamin supplements for a snake going off feed? Good? Bad...?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
~Just Curious~
Question (Bird) Vitamin supplements for a snake going off feed? Good? Bad...?

I have a pacific gopher, Phoenix, that hasn't been eating much at all since March and he's starting to show signs of losing weight. Lil' bugger.

Yeah, I can't stay mad at him with that face! He's doing great in every other way and my others are all eating fine, it's just him. Most folks have told me that it's just a male going off feed in the spring/summer, but it's worrying me now after almost half a year and so I decided to make an appointment and take him in. I wanted a chance to get to know that office anyway, as I'd never been there before.
We had our appointment today, the doctor there had me in and out pretty quickly, but he told me to sprinkle this Avi-Con vitamin on his prey to make him "get healthier". He said it's made for birds, but works fine on all animals.

I've heard of supplements for lizards, turtles, and the like, but I was under the impression that snakes got their complete nutrition from their rodent prey? So will this really help him?
Also are bird vitamins any different than snake vitamins? Can it harm him in any way? An overdose or something? Is there an ingredient on there that they're sensitive to...? I just wanted to see if this sounds right or not.
Something tells me that sprinkling this on the prey isn't going to make it more appetizing and suddenly have him eating more often like I'd like but will it make the occasional meal that he does eat better for him and stop his weight loss?

What do you guys think about this vitamin idea? All opinions are welcome! Thank you in advance for your advice!