FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New Mexico state law issues
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #28
jj-mitchell
Yeah there has been alot of questions about these laws and permits. Dealing with this guys has been comical @ best. They have certain requirements for each step. Class 1 they dont care it can be sick, dying, or dead they rank them as being little to no threat if released or escaped into the wild. Class 2 requires you to show game and fish your enclosures including locks have a containment, and emergency plan, as well as have health certificates from a veterinarian before you can get the permit to bring them in. Class 3 includes all of the above and when I ask about bringing in coastal carpets (a class 3) I was told I would have to sighn a waiver that made me financially and legally responsible for any damages my animals or offspring caused in the indefinite future. Class 4 requires an expert license, from everything I have gathered these are not being given out, I have spoke to a few that have class 4 permits but they had to meet the state biologist personally to do so(and thats not something you can just go do), also anyone that buys any offspring produced also has to have this license. They also hold the right to deny breeding groups of animals into the state, you will be more likely to get a permit for 1 animal as a pet than a trio for breeding.

These laws are the result of someone being allowed to make decisions that knows nothing about the animals. I ask game and fish about savannah monitors and they said they were to much of a risk as they have found Alligators in Rio Rancho.

These laws suck, but when they were being passed not enough people stood up and did something about it. I do want to thank Heather Angivine from Subterranean Jungle, and anyone else that worked with the state law makers to help keep the rights we still have. These people stuck thier necks to keep our hobby alive