FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
dpfecarotta
Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox?

Ok so this will be my thread for the Herping I have done, specifically and limited to my experience from early september and thereafter. I will come back and type my story in more length.

In the meantime, I have to hit the Gym. Here is a guy I found at my local state park. He was under a trash can lying on the dirt underneath. It was considerably dry underneath and i could barely tolerate fingertipping the drum cuz it was dead in the sun.

So, what do you guys think. At first i thought Eastern Fox snake, but not anymore. Here in our herpetology lab we are debating, my professor thinks its Lampropeltis Triangulum or Lampropeltis calligaster. I think its the latter. I can recall the body being "loaf-like" in cross-section terms. The scales may very well have been lightly keeled. I was so excited that I took a bunch of pictures but never slowed down to actually take down observations for identifying. I was focused on picturing the animal and then returning it ASAP as to minimize energy loss and whatnot.
Attached Images