FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner snake besides...
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
hhmoore
There are all kinds of good "beginner" snakes...depending on what you like, what you have room for, and what you can afford (this includes feeding and housing, too). If you don't want to deal with the temperature requirements of tropical species, or you like a more active snake - stick with colubrids (rats, kings/milks, bulls/pines, etc). If you don't mind having to provide higher temps & humidity there are a wide selection of boas and pythons that are suitable for someone just entering the hobby. Just take your time and don't jump too far, too fast...its addicting.

I know I really didn't offer much in the way of an answer, and that was (at least somewhat) intentional. Often times, the terms "beginner" and "starter" snake are used when what the person really means is "something to practice on til I can get/figure out what I want. I generally disagree with type of logic. Snakes live a long time, and shouldn't be considered disposable pets (not saying that YOU were thinking along those lines). There is also enough information available now that many of the "hard to keep" snakes can be kept by just about anybody that is willing to do the research and put a bit of effort into things. If you would like to tell us what you are looking for in a snake, I'm sure more suggestions and discussion will be forthcoming.