FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Gecko is about to lose toe....
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
KatieDB
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
OK, first, dont let this happen again. You should always get off any shed before the next one, esp. on the toes. My best method is to drop a dab of mineral oil on the toe, soak the gecko in a sauna, and then use a fingernail to gently scrape the skin off. It will be hard, because my guess is the skin is constricting the blood flow by now, and it will be swollen and painful. the gecko will prob not cooperate, so you will need to restrain it. It may take several tries and several soaks, but keep trying. If you dont get it off, the toe, or at least part of it, will die. Even so, if this does happen, dont worry, it will be fine. Hopefully once you break the circle of skin and release the tension cutting off circulation, if you have got it early enough, the swelling will go down almost immediately. You can also put just a little neosporin on the toe to speed up the healing. If you cant get it off, with the next shed the tip of the toe will start turning black, and will then fall off. If that happens, just keep the stub clean and neosporin it until the scab heals. Your gecko will be fine w/o a toe.
For the record, my gecko has only had a shedding problem once before. It was when i first brought it home and most of the toes had shed caught around them. I soaked it a couple times and they all came clean.

It looked like it was coming off, but my gecko decided to surprise me with another shed and my work was all for naught. I will look for my bottle of mineral oil and give that a try. Im pretty familier with what to do when shedding goes awry, however the toe is looking close to detachment and Im worried about losing the toe and preventing infection.