FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What to do for snakes if power is out?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
old guy
Been through 5 ice storms and I'm in your

neck of the woods in Kansas but went through these storms while in the KC and Butler areas of Missouri . I have those heat pacs that they use for shipping that i throw in the cages. Also I have some of those camp propane reflector heaters. They produce some big BTUs for the size they are at around $10 for the reflector and what, $2 or $3 for the small propane bottles. Of course you don't use these in the cages but in the room. The worst storm was when we had our pet store in Grandview Mo. where we were without power for 2 days and we rented those BIG propane heater blowers ( 2 ) that throw out around 25,000 to 50,000 BTUs. We had one in the reptile room and in the area of our parrots. With propane ( in which we use now at our home for heat ) without a flu, you want to crack/open a window just a little bit if it is used in a closed room. Since all of those ice storms we also have those 12 and or 6 volt back-up battery car starters and tire air pumps that we attach a 200 watt ( youn can get more wattage but less time ) converter to run our cage lights ( bulbs ). Instead of the wall outlet you just plug the light bulbs plug into the converter that plugs into the back-up battery. So you can run up to 200 watts for about 12 hours or 100 watts for 24 hours. If it does what they say it's going to do in the next several hours weather wise, heck, I may be using all of those devices.