FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - help mouth rot!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
hhmoore
ok - first of all, skip the wood shavings. just fold up some newpaper and put that down for substrate. at this point you don't want anything that is going to get in its mouth. it is good that it is still eating, and that it readily opens it's mouth - makes it easier for you to clean out the wound (more on that in a minute). you didn't say what the cage or room temps are - this is important. the heat has nothing to do with getting it to open its mouth (though higher temps will probably make it feistier), it is to incresae the metabolism and improve its immune response. Plastic containers don't work well for this, as I am talking about the "hot side" of the enclosure being 110-115 degrees and the cool side being 80-85. cooler at night: 75-80 is good. obviously keep water available (on the cool side), and offer food at least 3x/week.
Now, cleaning the wound. using a clean swab, clear as much of the exudate (the off-white cheesy lookin stuff) as you can, then use another swab to clean the wound (hydrogen peroxide, novasan, etc...an antibiotic wash is sometimes used, but I have never used tetracycline for this, so I cannot speak to its effectiveness or adverse responses). do this every to every other day. you kind of have to balance out the good you are trying to do with the amount of stress you are causing the animal...stress slows recovery. if the wound is as bad as you make it sound, the vet will likely recommend injected antibiotics.
"simple" mouth rot can be fixed relatively easily, with the necessary care. judging from your initial post, I would say you don't have a tremendous amount of experience...that is in no way a negative comment (some people are quick to take offense to such suggestions)...so don't just try to deal with this yourself. DEFINITELY FOLLOW THROUGH WITH VETERINARY CARE.
Good luck.
***I know that a bunch of people will will dispute the temps I recommend. I have been dealing with that for years. but finally, after suffering much abuse, articles by some of the best in the monitor business were published, stating pretty much the same thing.