FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #41
llechler
Quote:
It's a harsh reality than some lives are indeed worth more than others.
Maybe in the eyes of the law, but not in my eyes. Every life is equal to me. Not one person's life is more valuable than the next.

Quote:
LWOP is simply just not a suitable punishment for many heinous crimes. A man who kidnaps, rapes, and brutally murders an eight year old girl does not deserve to live out a natural life at taxpayer expense.
As you can assume from my previous comments, I would have to disagree with this statement. I do believe LWOP is suitable for this man and he does not deserve death.

Quote:
A prisoner who is already sentenced to LWOP has nothing to fear. Should he murder a prison guard, so what? What are they going to do... give him another life sentence? That second life sentence was such a joke to him that he attempted to kill a second corrections officer.
This is a reality, but at the core of it all, I still believe we should not have the right to sentence someone else to death. Put him under better security, don't take the easy route and just kill him. It makes you no better than him.

Quote:
How about the recent case here in FL, where a career criminal ordered the savage massacre of an entire household of people simply because they had his x-box? One of the victims was beaten so badly that dental records were of no use in identifying her body. After all six people were beaten to death, their bodies were mutilated after they were dead, and one of the female victims was sexually assaulted with a baseball bat.
That is very sad, and it will definitely pull at our emotions and heartstrings, but after all this man has done, does he still deserve to live? YES. He needs punishment, but that should not be in the form of death.

Quote:
Let's branch off with a tangent for just a moment, with a direct question for those who argue the death penalty is morally unacceptable on the grounds that killing is wrong....If faced with an attacker who was intent on either killing or causing grievous bodily harm to you or an immediate family member, would it be morally wrong to use deadly force in defense of yourself or a loved one?
I'm assuming this is directed at me....so.....here is my opinion....
As I have been stating throughout this thread, one of my core beliefs is that you should never cause suffering. I will break this senario into two circumstances. If someone were trying to kill me, I would most definitely try to defend myself, my life is precious, and I will not just lie down and die. However, no matter how much this guy is filled with the rage or intent to kill me, doesn't mean in my defense that I must kill him. I will try to incapacitate him, knock him out or something, but never intentially try to end his life, even though he trying to end mine. There is a line I must draw. Yes, I will protect my own life, but that doesn't mean I have to end his.

Now, in the second senario, a man is trying to kill an immediate family member or a loved one. What do I do then? I follow the same path, trying to protect them and myself, but never intentially trying to kill the advancer. Why seek the killing of another life just because he seeks to kill you? Doesn't make sense to me. Incapasitate him and let the law deal with his actions. If it came right down to it, however, I would most definitely sacrafice my life for a loved one or family member, as I believe sacraficing ones life for another's is one of the most honorable ways to die.