FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Jamaican Boas Breeding
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #80
cguarino30
And here we have the end result. The chick, with legs removed, ready to be fed to an adult, the thigh, with complete joints on each end, and the foot, which can be discarded or fed to a third animal (make sure you know who you are feeding this to, as the animal should be large and have a strong stomach) I generally feed the feet to a yearling tegu.

Take the now prepared thigh and place it somewhere in the animal's vivarium. There does not seem to be any advantage to placing the food near the animal or in any other particular location within the viv. They don't seem to have any trouble finding the food, nor do they seem especially enticed by it being nearby. After placing the food in the enclosure, and I can not stress this enough, leave the animal alone with its food for as long as possible, preferably until the next morning. The slightest interruption in the process can cause the snake to go off feed for an extended period of time. Be strong.

If you have done everything right, the final product thigh should be an appropriately sized, nutritional, and easily managed (both for you and the snake) food item. I do have some concerns about the lack of organs (and thus potential lack of vitamins, minerals, or other nutrition) in the thigh, so I recommend stepping up as soon as possible to some sort of whole food item such as juvenile mice, quail chicks, etc. I don't know for sure that the lack of a whole food item will cause long term issues, but I see no reason to chance it, and will be upgrading my own animals as soon as they are ready.

I hope this has been informative, and please feel free to ask any clarifying questions.
Attached Images