FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #31
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Nice! I would keep the meals smaller than normal for a little while unless he truly needs the nourishment as abx can be hard on a snake's liver and kidneys.
The problem is that he was at the end of his winter brumation when this started, and he actually hasn't eaten now for almost 6 months. He normally fasts for up to 4 months and doesn't lose any weight, but he's currently 300 gm down (10% of his body weight), and I'm concerned he won't have the energy to fight the infection.

He's normally a very eager feeder, grabbing 3 or 4 large portions at every feeding (usually every 2 weeks). This time I offered him 3 very small sections of chicken wing, and held the ends as he fed, to make sure he could easily ingest without blocking his airway. He fed very slowly for him, but I'm happy he has got something inside him. He is drinking as normal, and passed urates the other day.

I am concerned that it does require energy to digest. If I stick to small meals, would you normally feed him on his regular schedule, or more or less frequently?