FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Nutro dog food problems...anyone else hear this??
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy
Yes on making the consumer happy in anything the retailer can do as to me working at this time for Dillon's food stores. But back to the original thread of contamination of a product even for pets : Think of this > ( and let's all remember that I did say it is possible and could be a " authentic " case matter and I was in the retail - wholesale pet industry for over 21 years ), someone said that the dog food company would hide the facts ? Whether they did/do or not they couldn't/can't afford multi dollar law suits and or the negative flux of their product. ALL dog food companies imaginable ! > has breeders and kennels not to mention some animal control and animal re-locators/adoption agencies, feed ALL brands of dog food. A FACT ! See why there would be a recall or a taken off the shelve scenario ? But who would be liable for the contamination of either toxins of plant matter or animal products/bi-animal products ( i.e > chicken feet, cow hoofs, etc. to name a few ). Certainly not the retailer or wholesaler as they only marketed the product. The production company ? Maybe not Unless they used some kind of chemical themselves to extend shelf life or preservative or had the dirties machines around. The supplier of ingredients meaning pesticides and or herbicides of plant matter or if I read something here about thistle. I seem to remember USDA being involved with even pet foods. Even though this wasn't pet related remember how fast the brand of Blue Lake Green Beans was taken off the shelves after that frog or baby turtle was found in one single can. This was only a regional happening though. Not saying one or several bags of pet food could harbor a contamination problem but here is the process of re-call > ( and this could be a quality control issue or a inspector of the plant problem ) , the production plant gets notice, the wholesaler or kennel or dog breeder that buys skids or multi bags gets notice from the manufacture or direct, the wholesaler gives notice to retailer or dog breeders or kennels . Now that retailer could be a retail pet store, a grocery store , a feed store or even a hardware store since some of them got into the sales pet food. The product is recalled. Could this be a Tylenol scenario as to what someone said. Could several batches be contaminated solely or lone bags. SURE ! My facts of the business and my opinion.........
The reason possibly contaminated food gets taken off the shelves so quickly is the legal theory of strict liability where a retailer and/or manufacturer can be sued in tort and be held liable even though they had no knowledge of the contamination and were not responsible for the harm other than being in the position of a seller.
Under this theory, one merely has to prove harm from the product, and prove that a particular vendor sold the product to you, one does not have to prove fault.
Because the consumer is totally unable to protect himself in cases where there are contaminated food and medications, and because the companies have resources to compensate, food and drugs are strict liability products.