FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Please Do Not Kill the Snake
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Mustangrde1
Quote:
First of all, my house is my house and, it does not belong to a snake, not any snake. Heck I have the deed. Yet snakes get off easy in my house, but I don't think a dirtbag who would try to harm my family or me would get off so easily.
The simple said statement was so people might stop killing animals that were there long before any contractor even thought of building on the property. As to any scumbag breaking in They deffinately deserve to meet Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.

Quote:
Secondly, are you recommending this method of snake capture for snakes like the EDB Rattler, the WDB Rattler or the Mojave? How long a broom handle do you recommend for a 5 to 6 foot or larger snake?
Certainly I am its a very safe and effective method one i use on my own Easterns and when i lived in California one that worked very well on the Mojaves and Southern Pacifics. As to broom as I stated a " long handle" 5 to 6 feet in length would be perfect. the method is simple lay the can on its side and brush the animal in. By doing that you stay our of range of a bite and get the snake safely secured.

Quote:
You may also want to turn down the AC (f you can access it safely) to as cold as it will get in hopes of cooling the snake to make it less active.
That certainly would not be a viable alternative as I know of no house hold AC unit that could chill a house fast enough or to a temp low enough to slow them down till animal control can get there which could be as little as 5 minutes and as long as several hours in some cases. However having somone get other family memebers out of the house while waiting if you choose to wait for animal control is ceertainly not a bad idea. However again if the animal is controlled in a trash can then the safety factor conciderablly is increased for all.

Quote:
I usually recomend that people, in areas with a fair amount of snakes where such encounters are common, invest in a decent field guide to help with identification. I also recommend a visit to a local zoo wherein local species of venomous are kept. There you can familiarize yourself with them first hand. This is especially a good idea when there are venomous species in your area. It helps you to be able to inform medical authorities of the snake's identity in the event you are ever bitten by one.
I fully agree with this but how many people can maintain the calm or presents of mind to properly ID a venomous reptile in a moment of suprise, shock, or from a blind strike out of a rock or brush. Though education is a key and important tool the average person who really does not have an interest in them is not going to take the time to be able to properly ID it after they are bitten. I actually know many herpers who though they can ID their species of intrest can not ID a Plains Rattler from a Mojave from a Western. with all things equal.