FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Glue - PVC to Sterilite Tub Question
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
I used that stuff for years when I was doing underground utility work. Trust me, it'll stick anything to anything! LOL! If you get it on your hands it takes about a week to get it off, and it will never come out of clothing. It actually will form a strong enough bond that the pipe will shear off before the glue joint fails.
No it won't bond anything to anything, not by any stretch. For instance it's completely useless on HDPE, another material I have worked with extensively.
Yes it will bond PVC pipe as you described, I've run more than my share of it, but that's what it is specifically designed to bond. There might be another type of plastic or two related to PVC that it would perform almost as well with, but beyond that there are several types of glues on the market that are far superior, and if no chemical exists that will do the job adequately, you turn to heat welding with either a hot plate welder for pipe or an extrusion welder for sheet plastic.
PVC cement is by no means the end all be all of plastic adhesion. You just can't use the experience of one material and an adhesive made for that material and apply it to all plastics, let alone all materials.