FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - whats everyones opinion of the scalless cornsnakes?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
According to scientific literature, water loss is the same between scaleless snakes and scaled snakes. Granted, this is one of only two papers I could find, and they were both published in the 70s.

In short, if there was any difference between the water loss in scaleless and scaled snakes, we should see it in Nerodia, since their skin is more permeable than other species of snakes. Since corn snakes aren't aquatic, their skin probably has a higher fat content than water snakes, and therefore their ability to retain water should be fine even in relatively dry situations.

Granted, I have never owned a scaleless corn, so I'm not sure what kind of anecdotal evidence some of you may have. But the scientific literature seems pretty clear... water loss is similar between scaled and scaleless snakes. However, scales have a multitude of functions, not the least of which is protection from abrasions and depredation. In the wild this is probably a very significant danger to scaleless snakes, but in captivity these risks are obviously minimized or non-existent.
As I stated, I had read an article in a scientific journal (much more recent then the 70's) that states they are susceptible to dehydration and have sun sensitivity. The study was done on some sort of colubrid, but I can't recall what species. I did not save the article, but I posted it on Cornsnakes.com 1-2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in one of the ones in print I have here, but if I come across it again, I will be sure to post it.

You are right though, the dangers to being scaleless in captivity are much, much less then in the wild.