FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Rember this Lil leo?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
Bringerofdoom
The Guy i got it from acted like it was a oddity that came from some normal jungles. All he said he would have held it back himself, because it was one of a kind, but he already had so many he was holding. It was the only one like it i seen on his table for sure. Here is what he looked liked orginally.

I only whish i got this one bold stripe baby he had too at the time. The body was just covered in this bold stripe. I only wanna smack myself for not getting that and his name. Cause i caught him early as he was marking up all of his leo's and would have got them both on a killer deal

The growth rate i can possibly explain though. I have argued on other boards if UVB is benneficial to leopard geckos or not. The answer i heard the most is, that it was useless. Mainly because everyone tried UVB lights like reptiglows. I decided to test it, to see if i was right or not.

Flourecent blacklights put off some uvb there is a webpage that talks about what brands are better than others. Well, in the begining of december when i moved, i recovered a brand new blacklight i had in storage. I put the leo in a cage used a blacklightbulb for heat (those dont work for uvb) along with the flourecent blacklight. In that one month i had a 20 gram explosion.

here is the weights of the leo.
9.5 grams 11/27/04
28.2 grams 01/03/05
31.4 grams 01/20/05
37.3 grams 02/11/05
45.4 grams 02/25/05

I Did not have a weight for december, because i accidentally missplaced the scales when we moved. My eyes were like this when i seen just how big it got when i weighed it in january

I'm not saying that uvb is actually working, since i have no real way of testing this out more. I'm just comparing notes to my other leo's who are in racks though, and it shows a big improvment over them. I still have alot more to go with this one, so i will still keeping a eye on it. When i have hatchlings, i will test this out on clutchmates to see if one exposed grows quicker than one not exposed.