FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Quaker q's
Thread: Quaker q's
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
firestar72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
Quaker, as in Quaker parrots/monk parakeets?

Yes, the only way to tell for sure (other than seeing it lay eggs) whether you have a male or female is a simple DNA test. Quakers are not sexually dimorphic. Your vet can do it, or you can even do it yourself by either clipping a toenail a bit too short for a blood sample, or you can send in freshly pulled feathers. It's fairly cheap to do. Here's a good company to use:
http://www.avianbiotech.com/
I wanted to add if you do the feather route it will have to be 5 or 6 feathers freshly pulled from the chest. I was going to sex my Quaker that way until I found out I would have to pluck my bird. The other way, like what was already said, is to clip a toenail. When I took mt bird to the vet he did the dna sexing for $30. He was the only "avian" vet in town within 100 miles.

Quakers are my favorite birds! I also got mine micochipped. I was glad I did because last summer my bird was lost outside for 3 days and the people that found him took him to the vet and the vet found out he was chipped. I got him back. Since I could prove he was mine. They all look the same for the most part. The people that found him wanted to keep him and bought a cage and toys for him, the police wouldn't' return him because he was lost and not stolen.