FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - First to pay or First to contact?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Lucille
If I say I'll hold, I'll hold. If payment or deposit is sent, even if an easier local buyer shows, I'd sell to the payer or person who gave a deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post

But let's add a twist to this.
Is a seller required to sell to the first person that makes contact, or the first person that pays? What if a person sends an email, and immediately follows with a payment; so the seller comes online to find both...but doesn't want to sell to that buyer? Anybody have a problem with that (aside from the scorned buyer, that is)?
For me, it depends on the reason you refuse to sell. If you simply don't like the person, or don't think they care for their critters adequately, I don't think you have to sell.
On the other hand, if you don't want to sell to a person because, for example, they are Catholic, or Hispanic, or etc., (just an example, not directed at you Harald, I don't think you would do this) I think that is not an adequate reason to refuse sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I don't think it is always a black and white answer.
I agree with this to an extent, this situation has so many variables that it is difficult to come up with every possible permutation.
But I think if one has actually promised to hold a critter for a specified length of time until a buyer comes up with payment, one should do so. If one has taken a deposit, agreed to hold, one should hold. If one has agreed to sell and actually been paid, one should sell to that person.