FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Question about Tile
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello William,

That is a good question.
I will give pros & cons of sand. I just would like to know what type of sand you house your dragons on?
The most commonly found sand, calcisand or reptisand are NOT recommended because they are contributing to deaths from impaction in baby & juvenile bearded dragons. Adults can & do get impacted but usually much slower than babies so death is not as quick, because it builds up over time.
Calcisand claims that it is calcium based & digestible so if your dragon ingests it the sand will not harm him. That is completely untrue because the sand hardens like cement once it is wet which makes it practically impossible for your dragon to pass it & can kill him from impaction.
I do not recommend loose substrates of any kind for baby dragons because of impaction risks but also due to bacteria buildup in loose substrates.
IF you do choose sand, the only type of sand that is deemed safe & acceptable, in my opinion, is the washed & sifted playsand which does not clump & harden like the calcisand or reptisand does & will gradually pass through if ingested.

So, there you have it. You can make a more informed choice. I hope that helped out a little bit.

Tracie