FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - is usark over stepping its rights by proposing rules for states without asking us
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #29
ldydrgn
I am going to copy what I had posted on the FaceBook thread:

Rodney... The "proposed legislation" is something they have put together to use in those cases where HSUS has talked the state into an outright ban... like Ohio is doing right now. You have to ask yourself: Do I want an outright ban or do I prefer they put some legislation in place to ensure we can still keep what we want even if it means I have to register and tag my animals?

Odds are the state isn't going to just drop the whole deal with HSUS breathing down their necks. If they can talk them into dropping the issue without the "proposed legislation", then great, that is what they will do. But if they can't, this is the compromise. If it comes between a ban and a compromise, I'll take the compromise. USARK is doing what they can to help us.

It seems he believes that USARK is trying to get their proposal enacted in ALL states. This isn't what they are doing. He also seems to think that all reptile keepers within each state should be consulted as to what they want. To which I replied:

And that isn't a realistic view. Do you know how long it would take to consult everyone? Not to mention that all opinions are going to differ. It would take forever! There needs to be some kind of outline in place that they can use when these emergencies arise. It's certainly better than doing nothing at all and letting the law just trample over us.

Why don't you contact all the reptile keepers in your state and consult with every one of them? Get your own consensus.

None of us want laws restricting what we can keep. But if it comes down to it, what USARK proposes is better than a ban. It is the lesser of two evils as April said.