FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Any 3D printer using herpers out there?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
I have always wanted to get into it, but have yet to have an overwhelmingly compelling personal use case. I have an idea for something useful as a laboratory glassware companion product, but have never committed to making the vision a reality because I am not sure it would make enough money for whatever effort is involved and then because people could copy it easily.

Which printer are you using?

I find myself mostly drawing a blank when trying to conceive of things other than hides and dishes that are applicable to reptile husbandry at the moment. Maybe some kind of network/lattice that incorporates egg cradling that could be applied towards suspended egg incubation. I do not really love what is out there in terms of the cradling aspect that takes into account egg size and egg shape. Probably best to have two models; one for spherical and near-spherical egg shapes and one for elongated egg shapes. Using three angled spokes from origination at the base would allow for a wide variety of spherical eggs sizes without having much actual egg shell surface contact, allowing for maximal exposure to air/vapor flux while keeping the egg stable in its position. Consider that part the monomer of the design and then multiplication of monomers would be used to create an array. Thinking further, if these monomers could be linked/snapped together and unlinked at will, it would allow for the user to scale the number of monomers to different clutch sizes as well as to different containers (think plastic tubs) within which the array of monomers would be placed to control/stabilize parameters (as in an egg box) within the greater incubator. I am sure I could think of other product ideas, but it takes time until something pops up out of nowhere from the back of my mind as I am doing some unrelated task. The one above occurred to me minutes ago out of the blue.