FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Petco: Who Breeds for them?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #27
Karmic
I'm not a breeder, but I guess I must be a bad owner! I don't clean my leos cages every day. And I even have 2 females I've had for 6 months, that I don't have names for yet either. I just call them both "sweetie". I guess they could be Sweetie1 and Sweetie2.

Personally, I prefer to buy from a breeder who participates on these boards, rather than some miscellaneous classified ad. But that's what the BOI is for. If your unsure of someone's trustworthiness, check 'em out first.

And I agree that the chain store's animals come from "gecko mills". Any facility that treats their animals as nothing more than potential money that must be sold in huge lots, is not too terribly concerned if they are healthy or not. These sick animals that end up in the pet stores should have been noticed before they were ever shipped out. Instead their health is stressed even more by shipping, and then in most cases being kept in an inappropriate environment until they either die or the uninformed buyer takes it home.

Every pet store and every gecko is an individual case, but i think I'll stick to buying from the hobby breeders.