FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Feeding question..
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
hotlips
Feeding once a week is for young snakes (under a year, actually usually under 6 mos.).
You're pretty much "power feeding" her at once a week. It's not that many snakes will turn down the extra food, hey a lot of us like to over-eat too, lol...but it's not healthy.

Here's the thing about how you've been feeding: she wasn't THAT hungry when you offered her a fresh killed & she refused. She is used to the motion of live, and you absolutely need some long feeding tongs (or non-locking hemostats) so you can give a slight jiggle to the dead rodent. When I had a BCI, I had a hard time opening her cage...she "knew" it was feeding time & she was ready to pounce. Maybe if you wait 2 or 3 weeks she'll be "happier" taking dead prey? Trust me, she won't starve.

Live feeders are faster to bite than what you can intervene...and seriously, you don't want to try to break up a rodent biting a snake that's biting the rodent. As your boa gets larger, that can also be dangerous for you. (we are "warm & wiggling" like prey, & when a snake is pumped up to kill prey, they can easily make a mistake & grab us instead...please don't go there?)

You should check for any herp. clubs in your area (-there used to be?)- members sometimes split rodent orders. The worst thing about buying frozen is the cost of shipping, so you don't want to order frequently.

I'll let others recommend frozen suppliers, I raise my own rodents, always have.