FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - House Snake species?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Ghoulsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
http://snakesarelong.blogspot.com/20...r-dummies.html

Good luck.

I'm not a house snake guy, but the hobby "species" designation you get will likely not match up with the official taxonomy, and neither of those will be valid for very long.

Probably you will never, without knowing the collection locations of the ancestors, be able to track down which species (plural) make up your snake. Unfortunately, a percentage of the non-locale animals in the hobby are eventually discovered to be crosses between species or subspecies. My understanding is that house snakes fall into that category. (See the link and the point that Boaedon fuliginosus (formerly Lamprophis fuliginosus) is at least 7 and possibly 10 species)

It is pretty, and I hope you enjoy keeping it!
Thank you very much! I have seen that article before! I agree it's difficult to tell without knowing the lineage of the parents, and I will probably never know unless I can track down the breeder. Apparently the woman I got him from purchased him at the White Plains Reptile Expo last April. I'm probably gonna scrounge through the vendor list to see if I can find a match because I'm nosy.