FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How to get started
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
shrap
Well I can help with some of this....

When I first started going out I got a species list for my state and found pics on the net and made a basic ID guide.

As far as where to go, we have quite a few state parks, national forests and other state owned land that you can legally go to. My grandfather also owns a lot of land and I go there too. As far as any other private property, you should get permission before hand.

I herp the national forests and state parks all the time. I dont ever keep anything so I have never had any problems with DNR officials.

Here in Indiana we dont have any large predators so that is not an aspect I have to worry about. Bobcats are the only thing even remotely capable of causing any harm. When I was out west though (Montana, Wyoming, etc) it was always best to make your presence known. You don't want to spook a Griz. That is when they will get defensive. If they hear you in advance most critters are going to move on before you ever know they are there.

Running across venomous snakes comes with the territory. I just have my snake hook with me.

When I go out I take my backpack, plenty of water, basic first aid kit, food (trail mix, granola bars, candy bars, etc), my trusty knife, snake hook, camera and cell phone. Granted the cell phone is not always going to be in range but it is a good idea to call someone while still in range and give them an idea of the area you are in just in case the worst were to happen.

Wear whatever is comfy as far as shoes go. Nothing worse than uncomfy shoes when you are out hiking. I either wear my lite-weight hiking boots or hiking sandals. Shorts and a t-shirt. If I know it is an all day thing I usually toss a pair of sweats and a light jacket in my back pack as well. Always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.