FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hoarders: (20 Snakes.)
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki108 View Post

-Failure to provide minimal standards of sanitation, space, nutrition, and veterinary care for the animals
-Inability to recognize the effects of this failure on the welfare of the animals, human members of the household, and the environment
-Obsessive attempts to accumulate or maintain a collection of animals in the face of progressively deteriorating conditions
-Denial or minimization of problems and living conditions for people and animals

I didn't see this episode, but did this guy meet any of these standards?
To me, his very small house did not look like enough space to humanely house these animals, which he rationalized by letting them roam in his yard. He claimed to always have these 'back-up' guys in case the snakes got out of control, but that leads me to believe perhaps there's a safety issue for the kids when the back-ups aren't around. I guess the snakes looked healthy enough. I have far more than 20 reptiles, all well cared for and none dangerous, so I totally agree with your assessment of hoarding. He seemed to have an "oh, it's all fine" attitude. I would think that 'good' owners of giant snakes have a more serious attitude about their behavior and safety issues.

Again, these are not 5 ft balls, these are snakes that 4 grown men have trouble handling. How many people anywhere are qualified to own such animals?

Noelle