FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 AM   #116
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Irresponsibly distributed hybrids are a danger to the captive gene pool. But I think you know my policies well enough to figure out that nothing I breed is likely to end up on the open market, even if it's just an ordinary copperhead.
Can you say the same for whoever you might be inclined to sell it to?

How about anyone THEY decide to sell offspring THEY produce to?

Creamcicle corns are a good example of genes ending up loose in the general population... They were originally created by crossing in emoryi which had the erythin values which were desired. They were never properly represented to the general population, many of whom cross "this here snake with this here other snake cause they's all I gots" with little or no regard for the genetics of any given animal... The offspring of which are sold off again, to neighbors or friends or wholesalers... the animals are further embedded into the population...

I'm currently uncertain if it's even possible to obtain verified pure corns without catching them yourself. Certainly any animal which isn't from a handful of well known breeders is chancey.

How long do you think it'll be until the same thing happens with "Jungle Corns"?

Any captive breeding removes certain elements of natural selection, with regards to both which animals survive and which ones are capable of getting any given female's attention (or holding her down)- I really don't think it's much of an excuse for throwing every single shred of ethical forethought out the window and creating true abominations against nature. There are behavioral isolating mechanisms as well as physiological ones- just because two animals CAN produce fertile offspring doesn't mean they WOULD or SHOULD.

Are you really that bored with every beautiful aspect of the two species... the appearance, the behavior, the adaptations to environment and the way they have fully encompassed their biological niches... that you need to go Frankenstein (That's Frahnk-en-shhhhhteen) solely for your own amusement?