FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - First Herp of the year here in Kansas
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
old guy
Okay, that sounds better

with going through trash piles oppose to looking under rocks. My earliest observation of herps in winter was several days way back finding several timber rattlesnakes out sunning with temps in the high 70ties. It was in January. Another time although much cooler was in very late November when a black rat was scooting down the road moved out of its hibernation den by some near by heavy construction.
San Angelo ? Hey. you will be able to take a weekend run to west Texas occasionally. That's the place to be for a multitude of diverse species of reptiles. I have ( poor me ) to drive that almost 1,000 mile one way trip several times a year. You probably know this but the latter part of May through early Sept looks good down there. Don't know what to expect though due to the re-instating of the drought of west Texas. It can't be any worse than here though at this time ! LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
I just have some trash sites that produce in the spring and fall and dont produce at all in the summer. Mostly ringnecks and brown snakes and garters. Found some ringnecks and 2 racers and a yound black rat snake today. I save the rocks for a few more weeks. I am moving to San Angelo. It has been real warm down there, night time in the high 50s, so when I get there, it should be ripe. If it stays warm here, we will see early herps as i did today. We are packed to move, so Im not sure where the cam is, or i would post some pictures.