FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - SnakeSnare.com - Self Explanitory
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 11:43 PM   #70
IanV
You keep refering to him as if we are best friends. I also have never once made an attempt to sell the product.
I do however point out where you are wrong. In fact, I have been talking to John who is currently changing the website since he has "seen the light" if you wish to say. He took the website down because someone from this thread is contacting him with threads, and hacking his site.
Christmas would be the time to sales, but even I would not recommend he sell the product as it is. It does need some more work to make it safer. I do not like the thick rubber coated wire, and I have suggested putting some sort of a wider peice of metal or something, to help avoid rib injuries.
I also apologized for coming off as a jackass, and I hope you will accept it. If not, that is your problem and not mine.
As for the opinion, I have a feeling we are closer to 50/50 on the subject. I have received both the death threat emails, and the emails from people who dont want to get involved but have no problem killing snakes (again, I do not share that viewpoint. I do not kill anything for any reason. In fact, I am the only one around here nice enough to use Hav a hart traps to catch coons, skunks and cats that get in and kill our birds. Most shoot them or poison them with antifreeze).
I understand you are passionate about herps. I am as well, though we come from different "Herp Schools". I have literally been around and kept herps my entire 23 short years. I also have a job in which I deal with professional herpetologists and hobbyists like you and I on a daily basis.
You say there is no reason to kill a snake, and I agree. But as an American, I can recognize that some people have those views and though I feel they are wrong, they can kill them if they feel the need. Thats where education comes into play. Poeple around here know I will come and get anything they need taken care of, but how many people have that available? My grandfather was a great guy, but would kill any rattlesnake on our ranch because they killed the occasional cow. Was he wrong for doing so? I don't think so, but they also didn't have people that would remove them back then. I actually know a few people who enjoy rattlesnake as well, and so if they want to go kill one for them to cook and eat, then they are welcome to do so if they so believe.
While I do not believe in it, I do not feel that it is the worst thing to happen as long as it is within all the boundaries of the law. If it is an endangered species, then of course fry them. I would rather see the snake removed peacefully, but I do not think we will ever get to the point that some people will not be deathly afraid of snakes and want them off their property alive or dead.

Ian