FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - A loss to the Herp Community...James Bear
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Tim Cole
A loss to the Herp Community...James Bear

James Bear was bitten through the bag by a Canebrake Rattlesnake. Due to a previous bite he had an allergic reaction and and probably went into anaphylactic shock. He was without oxygen for about 15 minutes. He is brain dead and on life support which will be disconnected today.

I'll admit, I did not know James well. I sold him a few snakes and we traded e-mails and phone calls. I knew him through his best friend Anthony Fish.

Immediately after the bite, James wife Danielle asked Anthony and I to come and get the snakes. At the same time, New Mexico Fish & Game, US Fish & Wildlife agencies got involved. They had some questions about James and the snake collection. I believe Anthony, Danielle, and I were able to answer them well enough to clear up questions they had along with properly identifying the snakes. Anthony and I explained why we were there and let them know that we are ready to remove them as soon as possible. One less thing for Danielle to deal with. Hopefully we will be contacted today with an ok from NM Game & Fish.

A fund will be set-up shortly for those wishing to make donations to the surviving wife and 3 children.

This is a large collection (200+) consisting of boids, colubrids, neo-tropical rattlesnakes, NA rattlesnakes, European vipers, lanceheads, cages and racks.

Next week I hope to have these animals in Texas and ready to be sold. The money will go to the family.

If someone is interested in these animals ,cages, or to express condolences, feel free to contact myself or Anthony Fish [morelia40@aol.com] or (281) 788-5466.

My phone number (512) 83-SNAKE. 512 (837-6253).