FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Info TGR Rack Heat Tape Connection Issue
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
elthznd901
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Louie, I remember this being discussed on Facebook but I don't remember which page. I do recall there being additional photos, however. If you have them please upload them here.

In short, there is a small pocket between the plastic sheath and the copper leads on THG heat tape. Instead of soldering or crimping the connection between the wire and the copper leads, TGR simply coils the exposed wire of the extension cord, slips it into this slot, and holds the connection in place with tape. I do recall TGR defending this connection despite the concerns of many that this type of connection is unstable and can be dangerous (I was one of the commenters on that post). I doubt any electrician would come to TGR's defense on this one, and it's such a simple fix I'm not sure why they were defensive instead of proactively addressing a serious safety issue. I personally would not purchase a rack from them until they fixed their connections.
I'm sorry I do not have any additional pictures from Facebook and I believe all of those posts have been removed. I haven't fixed mine yet though so if anyone wants more of something specific just let me know.