FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - tamandua diet!
Thread: tamandua diet!
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Carnal Contessa
I have both lightly vested and Black Vested Tamandua as pets and breed the lightly vested (I have 2 that are pregnant as I write this). (BTW, I have a tame, handleable husky totally healthy adult male Paraguayan that has already been successfully introduced to 2 females and harness and leashed and used in a handful of Educational Programs for sale for $3k -- videos and photos of him are available at www.YouTube.com/CarnalContessa and on my website at www.
Chasing-Tail.com)

The following is the diet I got from TamanduaGirl and PuaTamandua at www.LivingWithAnteaters.com. I know of many a Paraguayan Black Vested that has arrived at its new home grotesquely under weight and this diet makes all the difference in the world.

# 3 cups ground beef(75% lean)
# 3 cups feeder insects(optional but ups the protein)
# 1 cup beef heart (available at WinCo or by special order from grocer. Have them grind it for you)
# 1/3 cup flax seed (WinCo)
# 1 cup wheat bran (WinCo bulk items department)
# 1/3 cup spinach or fresh thyme(you would use less dried thyme. Thyme is higher in K and iron than spinach) (dried thyme available at WinCo in bulk items dept.)
# 3tbls black strap molasses(for iron)
# 2 tbls nutritional yeast(for iron and B vitamins)(They have very high iron needs) (Health food store)
# Apple cider vinegar to moisten to make meatloaf consistency.