FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #55
Helenthereef
Thanks April. I'm just crossing all fingers and toes that this is a cure and not just a break in symptoms...

Researching around it seems he has had pneumonia, which can result in a glottal discharge as exudate moves from the lungs. He had none of the symptoms associated with an upper respiratory tract infection, which is what I see most commonly described as an RI. Now just hoping that it was bacterial in origin, properly sensitive to Baytril, and that he has no secondary infections. I guess I'll just have to wait and see (and also hope than none of the others develop the same thing).

Still no clue where he got it, although we did have them all out for an educational session with kids from a local conservation organisation about a month before he first started gaping and wheezing. We did have everyone using hand sanitiser, but kids are such a hothouse of colds and flu that I suppose it's not impossible.

I can't find any reference to humans transmitting diseases to reptiles, but I've seen Psuedomonas, Klebsiella, Aeromonas, E. coli, and Proteus species of bacteria listed as agents in reptile pneumonia. These families do exist in humans, just not sure of exact species.