FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Mangrove Monitor Health Issues
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
TailsWithScales
Drat I cannot believe I didn't see this sooner! Sorry for a late reply.

I agree with Jason (Olexian Pro) in that this is a bad deal and I'm really hoping you didn't pick these two up. If you have then you can disregard all that I'm about to say if you'd like but I'd still like to comment as it may help others in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidum View Post
Well the shop owner IS selling me both for $150, and the male is literally in PERFECT health, or as close to it as it can be for a reptile. I'm confident I can at least re-acclimate the female since I've got a much bigger cage (the shop's keeping them in a 15 gallon); I've got a 30 long that I can house the two in for starters. I've got the full-spectrum lighting (even though there's debate about whether or not monitors need it) to provide for them, and an appropriate diet of gutloaded crickets and mealworms as well as hopper mice. Should be able to give proper care for the male and hopefully resuccitate the female.
$150 for two indicus (mangrove monitors) is CHEAP and a huge red flag. Especially a supposed 1.1 pair. Which in my personal opinion I'm willing to bet isn't true. This is a species that adult size is 3.5 - 4 foot so being two foot adults is REALLY tiny.

What I'm more then willing to bet is going on is these animals are indeed young and mistreated or they're adults who've been severely stunted by being kept in and extremely tiny cage for a really long time.
I'm also willing to bet that the 'female' is a male. Fighting behavior is really close to breeding behavior and most pet shops do not realize the difference. By the sound of it the more dominant animal is getting ALL the food and in turn all the nutrients. Probably the good /only basking spot if there is one. Being that stressed out, constantly being beat up on and not getting enough nourishment is more then likely the cause to the 'female' being in such poor shape. Also varanids kept in close quarters will fight even if they're a 1.1 pair. Two, 2' monitors in a 15 gallon is cruelty. Again HUGE red flag.

I say pass on the sale if you haven't already. If you did purchase the animals how are they doing?