FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New to Venomous
Thread: New to Venomous
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
robin d.
not to criticize your esxperience but as far as agressive and non venbomous i would egt a asian rat, racer, gonyosora... aomething like that. they are quick intelegent and mean as spit most of the time.
work with those as if they were HOT.
as mustan said find someone in your area whom keeps them and has experience, as a mentor. tantiths and greegs sites are great read those... you also might want to visit www.venomousreptiles.org as well .

we currently keep two copperheads i used to help care for them until i lost alot of my site, now i only care for my lizards and the small boas and pythons and the asian rats (but i wear protective glasses for them, as nastey as they are dont want em biting my eye and causing any more problems).. my husband cares for the two coppers and the large boas.
it took us several years, a good mentor and alot of thinking before we decided on these guys. even though normally they are not potentially fatal they get treated as they are. we have a first aid kit, tongs,hooks tubes and an epipen on hand at all times as well as lists of numbers to the hospital, primary care physician and some keepers and all allergies (if any) my husband is allergic to. i am also trained in basic first aid and before we got our copper had to know how to give first aid for a bite from a hot.
you cant just jump into it you need to think about and have everything ready, "just in case"

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=42770

i think you might be interested in reading this post, it is honestly written from someone whom has kept hots and i coomend his honesty and believe it is a good read, before purchasing that first hot.