FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Bad experience with Backwater Reptiles
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #32
SophieD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Let me preface by saying, I have never ordered from Backwater and have no affiliation whatsoever with the owners or company. I likely would never order from Backwater, frankly. I want to SEE the actual animal I am purchasing, not a "representative" animal, and know the true lineage/history of an animal I am buying online. I also would not order from a vendor that did not offer a phone number (although they do offer a fax number) or a vendor that does not specialize in the animal I am interested in. I personally would not purchase from a retailer who gets their stock elsewhere (no judgement, just my preference). Plus I've seen previous Backwater reviews.

That said, seems to me they've covered their butts pretty well in their Shipping and Terms pages and it should be obvious from their site they are not breeders or a brick-and mortar-retailer also online, but rather just "middlemen".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://backwaterreptiles.com/shippin...-shipping.html
"Inventory Management
We work hard to keep our website fully updated with current reptile, amphibian, and invertebrate stock levels. However, there are times when we receive multiple orders for the same animal, or our website just does not get updated quickly enough. In either case, we will notify you if we are unable to fulfill your order."

http://backwaterreptiles.com/orders/...onditions.html
The pictures on this website are simply representative of each species. This means the specific reptile, amphibian, or invertebrate you receive may or may not look identical or similar to the photographic depiction. Our available stock moves too quickly to provide us with an opportunity to constantly update online photos ...
To place an order with us, you must accept all terms and conditions of this website by clicking "Yes" during the checkout process. Rest assured, we are very reasonable and always work to keep our customers extremely pleased (not just satisfied)... Order at your own risk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, all those terms/disclaimers/hoops were read, understood, jumped and a "Yes" button was still clicked.

As for the $8.50 fee you were not refunded, chalk it up to conversion. I can't go to Canada and purchase identical goods for the same US price; I can't go to Europe and pay the US price for identical goods; been there, done that. It's not exactly fair, but it's reality.
You are perfectly right. The only reason I decided to buy from an online provider was that no pet store around Kissimmee, big or small, had any Brazilian Rainbow Boa available. Since I never had an experience with buying a reptile online, I only looked at the good reviews for Backwater Reptiles. Now I know better. I have researched them all too well after my sour experience with them, and even found allegations that they manufacture their good reviews.
I have now purchased a snake from a breeder, I've seen photos of the parents and the baby. It is so worth to pay the extra dollar, particularly when you know that you will have your reptile for a good 20 years.
As for the PayPal conversion, you are right, but as I said in an earlier reply to someone else, it is not the amount that bothers me, but the fact that the loss was the consequence of Backwater Reptiles' unprofessional actions.
Some have said in previous replies to my thread that I should expect delays, out-of-stock situations from reptile vendors, and that I shouldn't make a fuss about it. I beg to differ. My experience with Rainbows R Us (the place I ultimately bought my new snake from), showed me that there is genuine professionalism out there, that there are vendors who truly love what they're doing, and care for their customers as much as they care for their reputation.