FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Herp Laws/Permits Along the East Coast?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
snowgyre
For Georgia, all native reptiles and amphibians (except for venomous snakes and turtles) are protected. You probably do require a permit for collection. You can contact the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Nongame Division headquarters for the necessary permits.

Headquarters Office
2070 U.S. Highway 278 S.E.
Social Circle, GA 30025
Phone: (770) 761-3035
Fax: (706) 557-3030

In North Carolina, you will need a North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Wildlife Collecting License. You can learn how to obtain one here: http://www.ncwildlife.org/license/Li...ife_collection

I don't believe native herps are protected in South Carolina, but I would contact the Department of Natural Resources (or equivalent) in that state to learn more.

I don't know about Florida, but it probably has fairly strict collection requirements for native species. If this is part of a scientific project with an associated proposal, contact the Florida Fish and Game for more information.

If you are just looking for herps but not actually collecting them, as long as you do not stress the animals out to fit the legal definition of "take", and if the animals are not state or federally endangered, you should be fine.