FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - You partner looking at the opposite sex??
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #54
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
Lucille, don't ever let it be said that I do not appreciate who you are. I do. While I will vehemently disagree with certain decisions, where minors are brought in, I do respect you and most of your decisions. Always have.

Griz
Thank you. However, and this is no criticism of you at all, I think you do not realize how studied and thought through some of those decisions are. To me, life is a bundle of competing rights, and I place minors in very high regard. Yet freedom of thought, and of speech, is also central not only to our American way of life but to the very foundation of the Christian ethic. Choice is central.
The courts, with some great minds pondering just these choices, have decided that access to children of internet use is incumbent by parents, and the ideas of whatever nature brought forthwith from the internet should not be reduced to the level of play in a sandbox because children exist.
I say that if you value the family, if you value freedom of thought, if you value your right to think, you must not yield these to legislated rules and must instead shoulder personal responsibility.
I took good care when my children were wee ones to carefully monitor what they saw and read. I found unfortunate surprises in my life; I walked in one day and saw what one of my sons was watching on cable, and he was older then, but I physically ripped the entire cable out of my home and it has not been back since.
I had an unfortunate experience with a church official sent to guard my family, so unfortunate it cannot be repeated here but the safety of myself and my family remained uncompromised because I would not permit his actions.
I think that parents must look to the safety of their children everywhere and not be lulled by the fact that a certain site, a certain official, a certain person is involved. Parents must be vigilant, always.
I have not watched more that an hour or two of TV a year for many years: America lets the TV babysit their children and I personally think that reading, interaction, and doing things together are more the way to go. There MUST be more parental responsibility than there is in some cases, now.
Griz, do not trivialize this responsibility with sleight of words, it is too important: there must be diversity of ideas, and choice; and there must be safety for children through parental involvement. Neither should be legislated away, Griz, we will give away our heritage as human beings should we give up either our ideas or our children.