FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - NEW MANGROVE SPECIES
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Interesting post Tony.

I somewhat disagree with elevating the larger Mangroves to full species status. I have seen many examples of both "versions" and feel that they are more or less just regional variations or subspecies instead of full species. I've always thought they were interesting, but never thought of them as totally different species before, nor do I now. Both will breed together with no problems and from my limited understanding, they both come from pretty much the same places.

I'm curious where you found this info Tony. I haven't been able to dig up anything in my searches over the last couple hours since reading this. I'm not trying to dog you or anything, but your source was credible right? I have sometimes seen wholesalers and retailers proclaiming new species and subspecies on their lists without any basis in fact just to boost sales. Hopefully this is not the case.

And Ben, yes, it will be funny(assuming this new designation is accepted)to see all the people come out of the woodwork claiming all the horrid hybrid breeding that's been done over the years(not that there's been much breeding with Mangroves, though).