FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How do you deal with impactions?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Uffern
How do you deal with impactions?

Just looking to get everyone's opinion of how to best deal with an impacted dragon.

This is how I handle it.
(all dosages vary with size of dragon)

I start by giving the affected dragon .2 - .3ml of mineral oil. Next, I give them all natural fiber (just fiber, no additives) mixed with water to a pasty consistency. This is usually about .5ml. After this they get a warm bath and a massage. The next day, they get another warm bath and massage. If there is no change, on the thrid day, I again give them mineral oil and fiber, along with a warm bath. The day after they get another warm bath. Fifth day and no change, they get the same treatment again, and sixth day another bath. If there is no change by then, a vet visit is needed.

This treatment works best when the impaction is mostly sand, or some other slow building blockage, and not when it is caused by a too large prey item. I also wouldn't use this for very small dragons, as it seems to me that giving them an appropriate dosage would be next to impossible.

How it works:

The mineral oil acts as a lubricant in the intestines, and the fiber draws a great amount of liquid(water) into the intestines as well. It is very important to keep the dragon well hydrated while doing this, otherwise they can easily become dehydrated. The mineral oil is indigestible and simply goes through. You will notice this probably during the baths after the first day. I have used this several times as a preventative measure and usually by the fourth day the dragon defecates what seems to be a bit of sand.

What do the rest of you think? How do you deal with impactions?