FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - BioActive
Thread: BioActive
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
alibaba62398
For sure! They carry on the role as decomposers in nature so we utilized that in a closed environment. Being very small and thriving on simple organic waste, they are a great candidate as decomposers since vultures and hyenas wouldn't quite fit XD (Unless your enclosure is big enough). Some people use snails and slugs depending but they have the issue of rapidly eating all plants in the tank that use up soil nutrients from animal waste as well as i think issues with the slime affecting things. I believe that those types of snakes would thrive best in a bioactive setup as they stress easily and aren't good with handling or the stress of tearing a tank down for cleaning each week or month. Plus the crickets from feeding could breed in the enclosure and provide a onstant supplemental source of pinhead crickets to grow up and have the snakes hunt and forage for them. Id monitor live plants in that case to make sure they don't nibble too many holes in them or use a hardy plant to stand up to their nibbling. I highly recommend tricolor wandering jew vines or pothos as they both grow really fast and are hard to kill - making them excellent to provide snake habitat and standing up to potential cricket nibbling (though I think their activity would be negligible as far as harming any plants assuming the snakes will be on the prowl for food). You should also look into neoregelia bromeliads mounted on wood or rock features in your tank. Theyre easy to care for, provide a water source from misting for your snakes, and look great! They can also be planted in well draining substrate and will sprout off new plants and create a mini bromeliad ecosystem network.