FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Need shipping advice
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I am selling some adult box turtles.
I saw them in the classified section and loved them. What other turtle species do you have? Can you recommend a Clemmys guttata breeder(s)?

Quote:
While I had originally only planned to sell them locally, I'm getting more interest from out of state buyers.
I would have asked about them, but, you said local sale preferred. Now I know to ask LOL.

Quote:
I am inexperienced with shipping in general,
It is much easier to ship reptiles, as opposed to the exotic mammals and exotic birds I bred and shipped over the years. Much easier in fact.

Quote:
and I'm primarily a snake person so I don't know what I'm doing with turtles.
For the most part, in my experience, shipping reptiles is fairly similar.

Quote:
Should they be confined in a bag, or in some sort of very large deli cup?
Personally, I would not use a bag. I suppose you could use a deli cup. However, I have had great luck (shipping and having shipped to me) using a rubbermaid type container of appropriate size. Next, make sure, holes are drilled threw-out the container. I can post pictures tomorrow if you like.

Since, we both know, I am not very good at communication via the written word. We both know my spelling and grammar is abysmal, as well.

Quote:
How big of a box should I plan on getting?
If you give me the Terrapene carolina triunguis "measurements", I could try and figure out an appropriately sized box. A good site for general guidelines is Ship Your Reptile.

Quote:
Is it ok to pack one on top of the other, or do they need a more horizontal box so they can be side by side?
I think it actually depends on the size of the box. Plus, how much Styrofoam you use in the box. Also, the heat-pack (if needed) and or cold/cool-pack (if needed) and or other packing materials used in the box.

However, I have always shipped and had my two TINY Malaclemys terrapin terrapin shipped to me side by side.

Quote:
A walkthrough of the shipping process would be greatly appreciated.
I would have no problem doing that for you. But, how detailed do you want? I can be longwinded, boring, and confusing. You might have noticed that LOL!