FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - HHMoore Finicky eater insight!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Leighanne
More!

Ok - one of the other things I wanted to address was what your thoughts are on how you want this to go. What I mean is, do you want to set up some kind of back up plan? I understand you being torn between wanting to do this yourself (with my help) and not wanting to let her deteriorate too much. Were you thinking of something along the lines of what you told Seamus? Possibly sending her to someone else after a certain amount of time?
Let me start by saying if she was eating regularly up until March, we've got some time to work with - but now I find myself actually applying the numbers: She was of an undetermined age when you got her, but in all likelihood, she was a few months old at the time (just basing that on when the bulk of the CH babies come into the country). What was her condition when you bought her? (I think I remember pics of her, I'll try to look for them - if I can't find them easily, I will ask you to track them down. you can click on attachments at the bottom of the column to the left of this message, and it will show you all the pics you have attached to your posts. you can then just PM me the link) Did she look skinny? 235 g for a BP that is almost a year old is on the small side, but that does not mean she is at an unhealthy weight - I base that more on the look test than numbers. Is she starting to look thin? Is her spine showing (peaked)? I will have you recheck her weight in a few weeks, if she has not eaten - just to make sure she isn't dropping too far.
To start with, I want you to monitor & record temps for a few days - anytime you are in that room, just jot down the tiime & indoor (cool) and outdoor (warm) temps (as long as you can do so without opening the box). If your thermometer stores hi/low temps - check & reset them once daily (record them with the other temps)
when you open the box to check water & do NECESSARY cleaning. For the time being, don't do major cleaning. Basically spot cleaning, so you don't have to disrupt her. If you use newspaper, you can still spot clean (though I'm sure it will be difficult to get used to) - just remove feces with a paper towel. If the paper is badly soiled or wet, just tear off that section, wipe the area clean, and add paper. Obviously, if the whole paper is urine soaked, you will do a full clean.
That reminds me - how did you provide ventilation in the box she is in? If holes were drilled/melted in, approx how big are they, and how many are there? Also, what do you use to clean the box when soiled?

Oh, one last question for tonite, how often were you feeding her? Was she on a steady schedule from the time you got her in Sept, or did the frequency vary?

When I get some time tomorrow, I will detail some of the temperature considerations.

Hello,

We have a ruler and two different kinds of screw drivers and some wrench set (I think) and thats about it. The rubbermaid lid like dips up around the edges and has a flat middle. Don't quit know how to explain that. As for how many holes there are, all over the flat surface of the lid Jeff used a screw driver and did it the hard way and then I sand papered all the unsmooth areas underneath the lid so she wouldn't rub her nose on it and hurt herself, it worked though.

When I went down and talked to my LandLords Son Matt I wasn't sure of what I was asking at all and he just popped out some other ideas like having wood around the whole edges of it and making an access hole. Ya know what I don't know. I'm not a crafty person, didn't take anything in school. I managed to outwit a couple of guys on a waterbed and a t.v. stand once but thats it.

I went to Cat with her first escape and she said the same box idea and quit frankly I don't get it. I would need a visual and can't come up with one with those instructions. I defiantly learn visually. I live by a Carter Lumber. I would have to remove her from her home once again to do it, borrow somebody's tools and I don't even have a mental image.

She is on a stand. A large black and glass bedroom stand. First shelf is the Blue Cobalt, second shelf Lickity, third shelf Gex the Leopard Gecko and bottom shelf my Rose hair. Her uth sits on glass. It was where I had to put her, she was on the floor for a few days when I first got her and the uth burnt a nice whole in my carpet. I don't have enough stands. I'm just not getting what you want me to do and any other Resources are ridiculous without a car or I would walk around Wal Mart for hours until I thought of something, or just thinking.

I meant to write you last night and my computer went Cannot find Server on me so I went to bed since it was 5 in the morning. lol I feel bad it went out though because there simply are no pics of Lickity anywhere. Piccolo, Jake and Gex is all you'll find. I have friends with digital cameras and will start the hounding today. I need pics of a baby Leo before I try and ship her to Cat or quit frankly I don't want to do it, one of my babies is visibly to small for me. I need the camera and will work on it, it might take me a minute though.

She USED to be coiled on the cool side when her small log was there and the big log was on the warm side, she wouldn't touch the bigger log. Then she went to the hot side with the dish hides, again thinking the one I put on the cool side was still to large. As of now shes got the two best ones but was informed to leave her alone so I have NO clue were shes been at without peeking in. I lift the towel everyday to see the Acu Rite but haven't seen her in like three days.

About the Thermometer readings, your right I got the Indoor/Outdoor temps switched but it still reads hot and cool side. Her humidity never drops below 45 at the lowest because of the water dish thats without misting. The Thermometer reads humidity when its inside the tank I believe same with the cool side I'm guessing so if I am to keep a temp log I will have to take it out to work with it. Can I lift her lid twice a day to get my readings or should I keep it outside the tank and spritz her once a day. I'm not really worried about the humidity. It will be fine with a spritz once a day, just worried about cool side readings. I bought the SAME Acu Rite Jen posted when I first got her. Do you want me to find it for you?

Am I missing anything? I took a wency quit small half the lid peek in, just one. Hot side is 90.3, cool side 85.3 humidity 51 percent without misting. I saw a part of her on the hot side but not in her hide. Humm? An no I didn't touch her or lift any hides. OH, I did miss something!

Visibly I only know of a few ways to tell if shes underweight and besides her the only Balls I see are Pet Store ones, physically I mean, besides Fauna pics. I always thought baby Balls had a little spine protrusion, just a little. The Adult pics I've seen well of course there all bulky, full grown and nice looking. I have seen bad weight Pet Co Balls. Outside of the spine protruding a lot I notice the weight in baby Balls is lose neck skin, it was on the few I've seen. She has got bulk and I don't SEE any lose skin. I always thought there was seeing the lose skin and then feeling it and lightly pinching it. I haven't held her in the longest time so I haven't felt anything lose on her. I haven't held her. She still visibly looks ok to me but I've only seen the worse cases.

When I bought her from Pet Co she was in a tank with three other cage mates, one of them having that severely folded neck. I stayed away from that one. They had shed skin on them, one of them was dark colored. They had one big log and kept her on Aspen. She was active and coiled herself around their crappy gauge, she slithered through my hands and the vent looked fine, and the eyes and her size seemed decent to me but she was a baby, still looks like a baby to. I mean she hasn't grown a lot longer just a little more bulky in the middle.

On Oct. 13th I took her to the Vet, Pet CO paid. I had no fecal for them but the Vet said no Mites, clean actually awesome looking mouth. He showed me how to open her mouth but she hates that. He told me how to check for Mites. Dr. Seigal said she weighed 81 grams which was skinny and to get her eating which I did two days later. Probed her a female. An I once thought because her eyes were silver tinted she had retained eye caps but nope. Vet didn't see anything and then I ACTUALLY saw one at Pet Co and then knew that wasn't it. Her first shed with me came off not in pieces. Her middle part came off completely but I had to remove her tail and head myself. Every shed since then has been perfect, eye caps and all. Now, anything else. lol

Thanks