FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Rainbows at Night
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
waspinator421
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalomon View Post
Hey, if that the truth I wouldnt complain considering the breeder sold her to me for slightly under the price of a normal

I was wondering though, is pearl genetic and if so is it recessive, dominant...or is it just a line breeding kind of thing?
It is not 100% known what is going on, but it appears to be somewhat non-recessive genetic... but also partially line bred. I know, its confusing. But from what I have seen the better looking adults you use, the more chances you get the pearls. For example, a beautiful pearl male was bred to a bullseye female and a female with fairly normal crescents. The bullseye female threw more pearls than the other one, but they both produced them.

Also, it appears that pearls are born male more often than female. This would lead me to believe that something is going on with the genes.

There needs to be MANY more breeding trials to get this 'gene' truly figured out. I have to say that they are one of my favorite 'morphs' (if you can call it that) of BRBs. I hope to breed this into the proven morphs such as Hypo and Anery, but that definetely wont be this year. I should be producing some 'normal' pearls this fall, however.

I say cherish your female, as she is beautiful and you are so lucky to have gotten her at such a low price!