FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anyone see this ad on KS????
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #22
Mustangrde1
Quote:
Because if you went to vet, they would charge you $2000.00 bucks, and then still say "take it easy"...so any vet would do this...
That statement is false! I have spoken to hundreds of vets that will not perform it.

Many of them state in fact that it is morally and ethically wrong to do so and in clear violation of the Oath they have taken.

Veterinarian's Oath

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of livestock resources, the promotion of public health and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

Many of the vets I have spoke to point out that in fact even if they could discount their Oath the risk of a potential bite and potential ramification in lawsuits and risk of loosing their lisence is not wourth the few hundred dollars they will gain.

You also said
Quote:
my reptile store that i work for has a herpetologist/reptile proffessional vet there
If as you state he is performing the surgery there I would hope you have all the proper legal paperwork and the legal requirements set fourth by APHIS unless you have these you and your store are in numerous violations of law.

Quote:
It provides safety for the keeper, but to let you know...yes i do agree with you more than anyone else i've ever seen post on here... but the thrill of keeping snakes that are venomous....is that they are venomous!!! But mine are not, there are some limitations and there are many risks...but why not make sure its safe??
The above statement contradicts itself! If you know they regenerate then you know they are not safe. Why then remove the glands for any reason? Venomous husbandry is not a persay safe hobby it has risk. However proper training and safety make it a less of a danger.