FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Herping in AZ. Part 1
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
pch101
It was Steve again that saw the next snake. It was a Red Coachwhip in what appeared to be a small packrat nest. We could see the head and neck on one side of the nest and its tail at the other side. Knowing how crafty and quick Coachwhips can be, I decided to take a shot of him as he was before we would attempt to catch him. I went slowly went over to get in position to grab the tail and Steve went over to try to flush it out, but inadvertantly scarred it back in instead. It pulled its head back and its tail forward, and in a split second it disappeared inside there. Steve said he would try to scare it out, and I stepped back to cover its most likely escape route. Steve started poking at the pile and nothing was happening. I told him it had probably gone down a rodent hole in the nest. Steve disagreed, saying "no James, he is in there alright." At that moment the Coachwhip flew out in exactly the direction I knew he would if he were to try an escape. He went right between my legs and was gone in the thick brush. I looked up from between my legs and said, "oops"

As we continued I came pretty close to a very quick Patch-Nose Snake. Unfortunately, he was not willing to stick around for Photos. It was right then that I saw a Zebra Tailed Lizard that barely held still long enough for me to get one crappy pic of him. A little while later I say a very nice female Clarks Spiny Lizard. Just as I was about to photograph her, I saw some movment to the left. I looked, and it was a huge male. I Tried to get into position to photograph him, and he bolted. I looked back at where the female was, and she was gone as well. I had just been successfully tag teamed by two lizards...
Attached Images