FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ball python needs help burned/raw underbelly
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
j_dunlavy
That looks like a fairly serious burn to me; I have treated some like that on a couple or red tail boas many years ago when I worked at a pet shop. One of the less impressive employees had bumped the rheostat and the heat was turned up too high for a few hours before my shift had started. The 2 red tail boas were the only ones to get burned. The burns were not apparent for a couple days but showed up exactly like what you have on this ball python.

The main thing I did was to keep the wound clean.
Every day I would soak the snake, first in plain water in case he wanted to drink, and then in mild betadine solution.
After drying the water off with a brand new clean towel I would remove any tissue that was dead so that it would not decompose and infect the snake; I found this to be mostly skin, but sometimes underlying tissues and scab material.
Finally, I would apply neosporin or triple antibiotic to the wound.
Keep a really close eye on the tip of the tail as it is the area that may have been cooked fully. If it is dead you may need to have a vet amputate a portion of it.
Any bad smell is decomposing dead tissue, and that has to be carefully removed on a daily basis.
Any areas that looked like they were making progress in healing were left alone except for the application of neosporin.

This treatment seemed to work well and both snakes recovered fully, although one did lose an inch of tail. It took a couple of sheds for the wound to seal up to where I did not have to soak and clean them daily. there was some scarring but it was minimal except near the tail of the one that lost the tip.

I hope you are able to treat this guy effectively and I hope he can make a full recovery.