FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anole questions
Thread: Anole questions
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Eleni123
Anole questions

I've been looking into getting anoles, and would appreciate some suggestions.

First of all, I've been deciding between a cuban knight anole and a group of 3 (1m/2f) green anoles. The terarrium in question is not purchased yet, but will likely be at least 2 feet tall, and at least 20 gallons. It will likely be a glass terrarium (not aquarium) that has doors to open from the front. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions about which anoles might be better, or if some differences in personality and behavior could be explained. I'm also curious how big of an enclosure would be need for 2 or 3 cuban knight anoles, just to keep in the back of my head, likely not for this setup.

Second, I was wondering what plants might be good to put in the enclosure. I have ficus and pothos plants in mind, but I was wondering if there may be some better options. Likewise, what types of branches would be best for the enclosure?

Now, as my 3rd and final question, I have read a lot of different suggestions for heating/basking temperatures and methods. My plan was to have a basking spot in an upper corner that is easy to get to by the branches. I'm unsure of the right temperature for it, though, I've heard 90, 120, 100, and all sorts of in between. I also plan on having a heat mat under part of the enclosures base, but I've only seen this suggested a couple times and am not sure if it is needed or wanted. I've also read that heat rocks are sometimes suggested, but I don't want to get one unless the given heat wouldn't be enough since I've also heard that it needs to be regulated and watched closely and I have school for 6-7 hours a day, leaving a gap in time to watch the rock's temp.

Those are my main questions, but if there is anytHong else you would like to make sure I know, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.