FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - A bunch of questions....
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
sisuitl
That's really interesting. Most tegu's I have met were pretty huffy and seemed to prefer being left alone. We just purchased a house in Arizona that has a screened in south facing back porch. The floor dimensions are 8'x20', and it has a sloped ceiling 8-10 feet tall. We are debating whether we should glass it in with removable glass and put new screen underneath. That would create a greenhouse area in the winter, and a mosquito proofed lounging area in the summer. My concern with keeping an iguana out there is that the floor is cement, and I don't want one to drop off his perch and break a leg (like they tend to do) so something less arboreal might work well in a place like that.

Do all tegu's hibernate? If that is the case it might not be necessary to glass in the porch area, since it would be sleeping during our cold months (it gets 115 F here in the summer, 60-70 F Nov through Feb. with the nights dropping to 30 F.)

One of the things that attracts me to monitors and tegus is that they are not strict herbivores, which makes having houseplants and achieving a balanced diet a lot simpler.